The Parish of North Weald Bassett consists of three "villages" of North Weald, Thornwood and Hastingwood, and is in the Epping Forest District of the County of Essex.
The community consists of more than 5,000 people and are grouped around the still very active North Weald Airfield. The Parish Sign depicts a Hurricane Fighter flying over North Weald, representing the communities close links with the airfield.
North Weald Airfield is a former RAF fighter station which first opened in 1916.
The shops situated in North Weald High Road include; a supermarket, post office, greengrocers, dry cleaners, hairdressers, newsagents, Indian restaurant, fish and chip shop, Chemist, a veterinary surgery, a café, a garages and two pubs / restaurants.